The classic hentai Rance: Sabaku no Guardian celebrated its 30th anniversary.
The hentai is inspired by Rance – Hikari o Motomete – (ランス -光をもとめて-), an erotic game developed by Alice Soft and released on July 15, 1989. The production company Tokuma Japan Communications released its only two OVAs on December 25, 1993.
While Rance might well be one of the best swordsmen in the world, he has the personality of a rancid turd. He is narcissistic, lecherous, abusive and almost without any redeeming social graces. And his underclad and overabused slavegirl Shira knows this, but she is still in love with him. One day Rance is hired to defend a dusty and forsaken desert village from the repeated attacks of scantly clad and oversexed sorceress intent on the resurrection of a long forgotten deamon.
Although its reception in Japan is not known, one thing is certain: thanks to the excellent game Rance – Hikari o Motomete and the publicity generated by its animated version, this extensive and popular video game saga was initiated.
- The Rance video game saga is one of the longest running and most popular in history.
- Despite the animated series being based on Rance – Hikari o Motomete –, its plot is unrelated to the video game. The story is entirely original and was written by Satoru Akahori.
- The hentai was animated by Animate Film and APPP.
- The OVAs feature an opening and an ending titled Tameiki no Starlight Fire and Taiyou ga Miteiru, respectively.
- Toushin Toshi 2 hentai is related to Rance: Sabaku no Guardian as both stories take place in the same world.
- On December 26, 2014, Pink Pineapple released the adult anime Rance 01: Hikari o Motomete The Animation. This anime is based on Rance 01 – Hikari o Motomete –, which is a remake of the classic game Rance – Hikari o Motomete –. This remake replaces the original game in the official canon.